2018 Speakers Preview
easLogo

2018 Speakers Preview

Speakers

EAS is proud to present our list of speakers for the upcoming conference.

Please note that we have done everything possible to provide up to date information. The information presented is subject to change.

2018 EAS Speaker List (Partial)  

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z 
 Cindy Bee | Bob Brachman | Charlie Brandts | Dr. Carlyle Brewster
Toni Burnham  | Rafael Cabrera | Dr. Dewey Caron
Lewis Cauble  | Dr. Joseph Cazier | Michelle Colopy | Sam Comfort
 Dan Conlon | Steven Coy | Dr. Maggie Couvillon
Phil Craft  | Billy Davis | Celia Davis, NDB | Dr. Lilia De Guzman
Dr. Debbie Delaney | Dr. Jamie Ellis | Dr. Rick Fell | Mark Fiegl | Pam Fisher
Kim Flottom | Harry FultonErin Forbes | Jim Fraser | Andrew Gibb |
Krispn Given | Dr. Jeff Groff | Ann Harman | Theo HartmannBill Hesbach
Chris Hewitt  | Don Hopkins | Jennifer Keller | Frank Licatta
Dr. Frank Linton | Dr. Wyatt Mangum | Buddy May | Dr. William Meikle
Betty Mencucci | Rich MorrisBonnie Morse  | Fiona O'Brien  
| Randy Oliver | Mike Palmer | German Perilla | Fred Proni
 Dr. Sam Ramsey |  Dr. Juliana Rangel  Dr. Tom RindererDick Rogers
Dr. Olav Rueppell | Tucka Saville | Landi Simone | Austin Smith | Keith Tignor
Dr. Kirsten Traynor | Dr. Jennifer Tsurudra | Doug Vinson  | Bob Wellemeyer
Lynn White |   Dr. James Wilkes | George Wilson
Dr. James Wilson | James Withrow | Andrew Wooten 
Michael Young, MBE | Jon Zawislak

Cindy Bee  
 West Virginia  

Link to Speaker Information Including Date & Time..
 Bee Cindy     

Cindy Bee, “Bee” comes by her name honestly. Her family has been in beekeeping for generations, and she grew up thinking everyone’s dad was a beekeeper! Bee is past president of the Metro Atlanta Beekeeping Association, was Georgia beekeeper of the year in 2006, and the first female master beekeeper in Georgia. She owned and operated a full-time bee removal business for fourteen years and co-wrote the book Honey Bee Removal, a Step by Step Guide. Bee is co-owner of Overland Apiaries and has participated in SARE Grants to study queen viability. Each year Bee goes to Nicaragua to work with women beekeepers in a co-op and is planning to guide them in how to successfully remove Africanized bees from structures as a means to increase hive numbers as well as a source of income.

Currently, Bee works at Appalachian Headwaters in West Virginia where she teaches and manages a crew of beekeepers, the Appalachian Beekeeping Collective. The organization is dedicated to retraining men and women who used to be associated with the coal mining industries. The goals of the organization are land reclamation using pollinator friendly trees and undergrowth, education on beekeeping as a sustainable source of income, and maintaining approximately 1,000 hives for honey production.  A national and international speaker, Bee loves teaching beekeeping, working bees, and telling the stories that naturally come with the unusual profession.  She has two Master’s degrees in writing and is working on a collection of beekeeping stories.

Return to List Above

Bob Brachman  
 State  

generic profile   

I started keeping honey bees in the 1970s.  At that time beekeeping was pretty beautiful.  There were 'dark spots' (agricultural pesticides to avoid, God sometimes laughing when I'd plead "My California bees need nectar!  The plants need water!" but generally working with bees was beautiful work with, generally, beautiful outcomes.  When the parasitic mites came in the eighties it got ugly.  Beekeepers became pesticide (i.e. poison) applicators and things got uglier by the year.  For me, Russian honey bees made beekeeping beautiful again.  I've helped them (learned from them) and tweaked my management a little but these bees have done the heavy lifting of returning the beauty to our work. You can find Bob in the Queen Rearing track in the Short Course.  http://www.coldcountryqueens.com/

Return to List Above

Charlie Brandts  
 Maryland  

Brandts Charlie     
I started my beekeeping later in life than most. I started in 2007 when I was nearly 50 years old with two nucleus colonies. I presently maintain between 70 and 120 colonies. I worked for the federal government as a carpenter for most of my 35-year career. In 1985 while working for the National Park Service I began a detail to the White House carpenter shop. In 1996 I became a permanent career employee there. In February 2007 I was asked to start a beehive at the future White House Kitchen Garden. The hive has been there since March 2007up to the present time. 

Return to List Above

Dr. Carlyle Brewster  
 Virginia  

Brewster Carlyle     

Dr. Brewster is a professor of Quantitative Ecology in the Department of Entomology at Virginia Tech.  He teaches several courses including Insect Behavior & Ecology, Research & Information Systems in the life Sciences, and Design and Analysis of Agricultural Experiments.  His research focuses on the development and application of quantitative ecology, and geo-statistical and spatial approaches to study the dynamics and management of arthropods in natural, urban, and agricultural ecosystems.   Carlyle has worked on numerous insect problems throughout his career but has only recently become involved with research on honey bees.

Return to List Above

Toni Burnham  
 Washington, D.C.  

Burnham Toni     

Toni became an urban beekeeper on April 9, 2005, when two packages of Italian bees from Georgia were placed in her hands in a park outside Baltimore, Maryland. Over the past 13 years, those bees have led to revelations, friendships, adventures, anxieties, community organizing, teaching, learning, the legalization of beekeeping in DC, and a deeply humbling daily joy for the chance to work with and for these creatures. Burnham now runs about 20 hives in a half dozen apiaries: she is a former president of the Maryland State Beekeepers Association , the founder of the DC Beekeepers Alliance , writes frequently for BeeCulture Magazine , and mentors local beekeepers. Toni will be speaking on Speaking with Children about beekeeping and Issues in Urban Beekeeping.

Return to List Above

Rafael Cabrera  
 North Carolina  

Cabrera Rafael     
Rafael Cabrera is Founder and General Manager of Solutionbee LLC. A graduate of Stevens Institute of Technology and North Carolina State University, Mr. Cabrera has held various leadership positions in product management and general management, including setting up businesses for ABB in Romania and China. He speaks English, German and Spanish fluently and specializes in technology startups and beekeeping.

Return to List Above

Dr. Dewey Caron    
 Oregon  

generic profile      

Dr. Dewey M. Caron is Emeritus Professor of Entomology & Wildlife Ecology, University of Delaware, & Affiliate Professor, Dept Horticulture Oregon State University. I spent 40 plus years teaching, doing bee extension and bee research at Cornell (1967-70), University of MD (1970-1981) and University of Delaware (1981-2009). Since retirement (2009), I spend 4-6 months each year in Bolivia where I keep Africanized bees, sometime on the east coast giving bee schools and lectures and in Portland Oregon. I currently have 5 backyard colonies in Tigard, OR where I resettled to be closer to 5 grandkids. My first EAS was 1967, and I have served as President, Director, Chairman of the Board, Chair of several EAS Board committees and currently I am the outgoing Advisor for the EAS Master Beekeeper program and organizer of the Short Course and programs for the 2016 and 2017 EAS conferences.

Return to List Above

Lewis Cauble  
 North Carolina  

Cauble Lewis Thumb     

Lewis Cauble works for North Carolina Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services as an Apiary Inspector.  He covers the 21 counties in western NC.  Lewis is a North Carolina State Beekeeping Association (NCSBA) Master Beekeeper and has served as an officer in his local associations, as a Regional Director for NCSBA, and also as 2nd VP for NCSBA.  He began working as an Apiary Inspector in July of 2015 and lives in Rutherfordton, NC.

Return to List Above

Dr Joseph Cazier  
 North Carolina  

Cazier Joseph     

Joseph Cazier, Ph.D, is a partner and the Chief Analytics officer for Hive Tracks, a software provider for beekeepers.  Joseph holds degrees in Agronomy and Information systems and has worked in the agricultural, biotechnology, and technology Industries.  He is also the founding director of the Center for Analytics Research and Education at Appalachian State University where he uses big data and analytics techniques to help the natural world and teaches graduate level courses in data science.

Return to List Above

Michele Colopy  
 Ohio  

Colopy Michelle     

Michele Colopy has been the Program Director of the Pollinator Stewardship Council since March 2013.  Her father was a beekeeper in Southeast Ohio and she keeps honey bees in the city, replacing her crabgrass front yard with pesticide-free pollinator flowers for her honey bees and native pollinators.  Ms. Colopy holds a Master’s degree in Nonprofit Management/Arts Administrations.  Her nonprofit experience includes work in the performing arts, housing, and homelessness, foreclosure prevention, community development and health and wellness.  She is currently the Treasurer of the Ohio State Beekeepers Association.

Return to List Above

Sam Comfort  
 Florida | New York  

Comfort Sam     

Sam Comfort worked for several years in commercial beekeeping across the country before starting Anarchy Apiaries in 2005.  Through breeding queens from hardy survivor stock and experimenting with methods and hive designs, the mission is to 1) make more beehives than there are televisions, and 2) have a good time, all the time (with bees).  Anarchy Apiaries runs around 1000 hives and 500 mating nucs on the permaculture principal of minimal input; no treatments, minimal feeding, and do-it-yourself hive boxes in New York and Florida.  Through teaching self-contained, self-reliant beekeeping, he hopes to make it more affordable, approachable, and enjoyable, as well as bring the means of production back to the beekeeper.

Return to List Above

Dan Conlon  
 Massachusetts  

Conlon Dan     

Dan Conlon is a full-time beekeeper and co-owner of Warm Colors Apiary in South Deerfield, MA. Their apiary is certified by the Russian Honey Bee Breeder Association (RHBA) to maintain and improve select lines of Russian bees and they also use the apiary to produce varieties of local and regional honeys, beeswax products, and provide pollination to Pioneer Valley orchards and farms. Dan’s long-term goal has been to reduce harmful management practices while improving mite tolerance and disease resistance in honeybees.  He is experienced in apiary management, queen production, and providing and hosting educational programs for beekeepers. Dan has served on the board of directors for EAS and is a recipient of the 2004 Divelbiss Award.  He serves on the MA Organic Farmers Assn and was recently named Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture (CISA) 2018 Farmers of the Year.  He is President of the MA Bee Assn., President Franklin County Bee Assn, and is the current President of the Russian Honeybee Breeders Assn.

Return to List Above

Steven Coy  
 State  

generic profile     
Steven is a second-generation commercial beekeeper from Northeast Arkansas and moved to Southern MS in 2006 to help manage Coy’s Honey Farm queen and honey production. Steven earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Plant Science, and a Master’s Degree in Biology from Arkansas State University. His emphasis was Entomology and he worked as a research assistant on the effects of the Tarnished Plant Bug on cotton and later as a research technician at the USDA Biological Control Research Unit in Stoneville, MS studying Red Imported Fire Ants. He has been an active member of several national bee industry organizations and has served as a member of the Executive Board of the American Honey Producers Association since 2010. He was President of the Russian Honeybee Breeders Association from 2012 to 2016 and one of the original members. He is a founding member and former Sec/Treasurer of the Pollinator Stewardship Council from 2015-2017 and served as the U.S. Beekeeping representative on the EPA Pesticide Program Dialogue Committee 2014-2016.  In 2014, Steven and his wife started Coy Bee Company, LLC in Wiggins, MS. Their operation sells Russian queens, nucs, and produces honey made across the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Black Prairie region. He frequently gives presentations at national and state meetings and is also active in the MS Beekeepers Association. You can find Steven in the Queen Rearing track in the short course

Return to List Above

Dr. Maggie Couvillon  
 Virginia  

Couvillon Maggie Dr Thumb     

Dr. Maggie Couvillon runs  The Couvillon Lab, based in the Department of Entomology at Virginia Tech. The lab investigates the dynamics of how pollinators collect their food in the landscape, with a specific focus on honey bee foraging, recruitment, and health and more broadly, is interested in the behavioral ecology of social insects. Dr. Couvillon is a broadly trained bee researcher. 

Prior to Virginia Tech, she worked as a postdoctoral researcher in honey bee waggle dance communication at the University of Sussex in Brighton, England; as a postdoctoral researcher in bumble be worker size variation and colony organization at the University of Arizona with Professor Anna Dornhaus; and as a PhD student at the University of Sheffield in Sheffield, England, working on honey bee nestmate recognition and guarding with Professor Francis Ratnieks.

Dr. Couvillon is an active speaker to local and national beekeeping and community groups, including as a TED speaker at the Houses of Parliament. Since 2005, she has written about bee research for a non-science audience, including as a permanent columnist in the European journal Beekeepers Quarterly,. She also served with the European Union Food Safety Authority (EFSA; Parma, Italy) as a scientific expect to evaluate the health status of honey bees and other pollinators across the EU.

When she’s away from bees, she enjoys reading, cycling, swimming, cooking, and traveling. These days, she also spends many happy hours with her new son, Nate.

Return to List Above

Phil Craft  
 Kentucky  

Craft Phil     

Phil served as the Kentucky State Apiarist from 1999 through 2011. He is a graduate of Oberlin College in Ohio (BA in biology), and of the University of Kentucky. Phil continues to communicate with beekeepers through his Ask Phil question/answer column which appears in Bee Culture magazine, and through his webpage, Philcrafthivecraft.com. He is also the U.S. technical adviser for Veto-pharma, the maker of Apivar, Varroa Easy Check, and other products. A native of the mountains of Eastern Kentucky, he now lives out in the sticks in the Bluegrass region of Kentucky near Lexington with his family, a very old dog, and some bee hives. You may send questions to Phil at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Return to List Above

Celia Davis NDB  
 United Kindom  
The Sex Life of Plants Wednesday August 15th 10:00
 Davis Celia Thumb 

Celia began a lifelong interest in insects as a child and has been keeping bees for more than 35 years.  During that time she has held various posts within her beekeeping Association.  She holds a degree in Agriculture and a National Diploma in Beekeeping and worked as a teacher/lecturer in pure and applied biology.   She has written many articles, had 2 books published, on bees, teaches beekeeping at various levels and lectures widely throughout the British Isles and Ireland.  Particularly partial to nucs, using them for various purposes, including swarm control, and often having at least as many three, four, and five frame nucs as full colonies during the Summer, usually overwintering two.  Home is at Berkswell, near Coventry in the heart of England and when she is not involved with bees she enjoys gardening, particularly growing fruit and vegetables, and birdwatching. 

Return to List Above

Billy Davis  
 Viginia  

generic profile     
Please check back. We are actively updating this information as it is being sent to us.

Return to List Above

Dr. Lilia De Guzman  
 Louisiana  

de Guznam Lilia     

Lilia De Guzman is a Research Entomologist at the Honey-Bee Breeding, Genetics and Physiology Laboratory in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  She has studied varroa and tracheal mite resistance of Yugoslavian and Russian honey bees. She led research on the mechanisms of resistance to varroa by Russian honey bees, and biology and control of small hive beetles. She is in interested in developing new tools for the selective breeding of honey bees that resist varroa through grooming. She has also done some research on other parasitic mites such as external Acarapis, Euvarroa and Tropilaelaps. She is currently investigating the effects of varroa mite parasitism on bee behavior. 

Return to List Above

Dr. Debbie Delaney  
 Delaware  

Delaney Debbie     

Deborah Delaney is an assistant professor in the Department of Entomology and Wildlife Ecology at the University of Delaware where she mentors graduate and undergraduate students working on various aspects of pollinator health and productivity. She teaches Insects and Society, Apiculture and Pollination Ecology. She has over 20 years of experience working with pollinators, specifically honey bees and maintains between 25-60 colonies in the teaching apiary at UD’s Newark farm. Her research program has four main focal areas: 1) genetic identity and diversity of US honey bees 2) temporal stability of pollinator populations and 3) best management solutions for creating sustainable managed pollinator populations 4) pollinator nutrition and forage mapping.

Return to List Above

Dr. Jamie Ellis  
 Florida  

Why Are Our Bees Dying & What Can We Do About It? Thursday 8:30
 Ellis Jamie Thumb     

Dr. Ellis is the Gahan Associate Professor of Entomology in the Department of Entomology and Nematology at the University of Florida. He has a BS degree in Biology from the University of Georgia (Georgia, USA) and a PhD in Entomology from Rhodes University in South Africa. At the University of Florida, Jamie has responsibilities in extension, instruction and research. Regarding his extension work, Jamie created the AFBEE program (African Bee Extension and Education Program), the UF, South Florida, and Caribbean Bee Colleges, and the UF Master Beekeeper Program. As an instructor, Jamie supervises PhD and masters students in addition to offering an online beekeeping course. Currently, Jamie and his team have over 30 active research projects in the fields of honey bee husbandry, conservation and ecology, and integrated crop pollination.

Return to List Above

Dr. Rick Fell  
 Virginia  

Fell Rick     

Dr. Richard Fell is Professor Emeritus in the Department of Entomology at Virginia Tech and was responsible for beekeeping extension programs in Virginia for 35 years.  He was heavily involved in teaching while serving as a faculty member, teaching 18 different courses as well as courses in South Africa, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Mali, the Dominican Republic and Belize.  He received his BA from the University of Pennsylvania and his MS and PhD degrees from Cornell University, working under Dr. Roger Morse.  His recent research projects have involved the study of the honey bee pathogen, Nosema ceranae, and the effects of pesticides and pesticide residues on honey bee health.  He recently served on the Virginia Pollinator Protection Plan Advisory Committee and has served as an apiculture consultant for several environment organizations.  He has received several prestigious teaching awards, including the Distinguished Teaching Award from the Entomology Society of America.

Return to List Above

Mark Fiegl  
 New York  

Fiegl Mark     

Mark resides in Williamson, NY in the heart of apple country. He is a retired Technology /Shop Teacher and keeps himself busy with his bees and a small livestock operation. Mark began beekeeping in the early 80’s before Varroa and Tracheal mites and currently keeps between 100-120 colonies of bees.  All of his liquid honey is marketed at several local farm markets and he wholesales his comb honey to a nearby packer. Mark likes to make most of his own bee equipment and gadgets and in recent years has been raising his own queens from VSH stock to help with the mite issue that we all face. In recent years Mark has become involved with several local bee clubs, hosting field days in his yards and he was recently elected to the Board of Directors of the Empire State Honey Producers Association, a state level organization. Mark continues to be totally fascinated with the organization and unique behavior of the honey bee and takes great pride in presenting the gift of liquid honey that the bees provide. He does this through his entries at local, state, and regional honey shows and through the products he sells locally. This is what Mark will be talking about in his “Excellence in Extracted Honey” talk during the short course.

Return to List Above

Pam Fisher  
 State  

Fisher Pam     

Pam Fisher, with husband Rick, has kept bees in Coastal Virginia for over 25 years. In addition to the research and teaching apiary the Fishers manage for Virginia Cooperative Extension, they maintain approximately 40 hives from which they sell local nucs, honey, beeswax and propolis products.  Pam’s commitment to sustainable beekeeping led her to found Virginia’s first beekeeping guild dedicated to using local bees with as few chemical interventions as possible.  Pam serves on the Certified Naturally Grown Apiary Advisory Council and has been the recipient of Virginia’s L.L. Langstroth lifetime achievement award.  She is the former president of the Virginia State Beekeepers Association, current EAS president and creator of the Virginia Honey Bee Festival ™ an event that engages thousands of citizens annually.

Return to List Above

Kim Flottom  
 Ohio  

Flottom Kim Thumb     

Kim has served Eastern Apicultural Society (EAS) for many years, as a State Director from both CT and OH, as the Chairman of the Board for two terms and as EAS President twice. Kim also served as President of the Ohio State Beekeepers Association for three terms and with his local Medina County Beekeepers Association. Before moving to Ohio Kim conducted honey bee research for the USDA and worked in University Extension at the University of Wisconsin. He has been in charge of Bee Culture magazine for just over 30 years and has been keeping bees for nearly 40.

Kim is the author of and has edited many books on bees and beekeeping at multiple levels. He lives near Cleveland Ohio with his wife Kathy, 20 chickens, lots of bees, a couple of cats and several pollinator and vegetable gardens out back.

Return to List Above

Erin Forbes  
 State  

generic profile     
Please check back. We are actively updating this information as it is being sent to us.

Return to List Above

Jim Fraser  
 Maryland  

generic profile     

Jim Fraser is a third-generation beekeeper and resides in Montgomery County, Md., just outside of Washington, D.C. He has been an EAS Master Beekeeper since 2014, and currently operates about 150 hives for pollination, nucleus colony production, honey, and comb honey. He is also a Brushy Mountain Bee Farm dealer and runs the Maryland Honey Company. He is currently president of the Maryland State Beekeepers Association.

Return to List Above

Harry Fulton  
 Mississippi  

Fulton Harry     
I retired in 2011 as State Entomologist from the Mississippi Department of Agriculture & Commerce and served as State Apiary Inspector for 35 years. I also served as Secretary-Treasurer for the Mississippi Beekeepers Association for 35 years. In these positions I organized and participated in numerous beekeeping workshops. I have personally kept Honey Bee colonies since 1975. I, upon retirement, decided that Russian Honey bees were a bee for the future success in beekeeping. I decided I could be a successful Russian Honey Bee Breeder and became certified in 2014. You can hear Harry interviewed by the  Mississippi Agriculture Oral History Collection

Return to List Above

Andrew Gibb  
 England, United Kingdom  

generic profile   

Andrew Gibb is a backyard beekeeper who has kept bees since he was at boarding school in Somerset, U,K. He now keeps several colonies of bees in Surrey (a county South West of London). He became a British Beekeepers’ Association (BBKA) Master Beekeeper in 1985 and since then has been an examiner for the BBKA in their examination and certification system. He has taught beekeeping in adult education, gives regular talks on the subject and he has had a long-term involvement with Bee Craft, an U.K. company that publishes both a monthly magazine and books on beekeeping. Bee Craft is the magazine is the largest paid circulation beekeeping magazine in U.K. where Andrew is a director and writes occasional articles for the magazine.

Return to List Above

Krispn Given  
 Indiana  

Given Krispin     

Krispn Given is Apiculture Specialist at Purdue University’s Department of Entomology in West Lafayette Indiana. He started breeding bees over 20 years ago. His responsibilities include maintaining the 120 research colonies, running the Purdue honey bee breeding program, teaching an annual queen rearing short course, managing the honey bee laboratory and extension activities. Krispn also teaches the instrumental insemination class each year at the university, annually gives lectures to beekeeper’s and researchers at national and internationl conferences and beekeepers meetings. His research is focused on selecting for behavioral resistance to varroa destructor by selecting bees with behavioreal traits, grooming, mite-biting. Krispn was instrumental in developing the new “mite-biter” bee strain, where they have demonstrated high-selected bees that chew 50% of the mites that are groomed off their body’s. The primary mechanism of defense is the ability to groom themselves free of varroa mites and bite them (collaboration with Dr. Greg Hunt). Given plans to breed bees that tolerate viruses in the future. He is vice president of the Heartland Honey Bee Breeders Cooperative (HHBBC). Krispn has also been involved in several research projects and is author and co-author of numerous publications, including scientific and trade journal articles.  Krispn has received numerous honors and awards. He also recently developed innovative instrumental insemination devices and equipment along with his partner Dale McMahan and launched Apis Engineering where breeders can purchase high-end instrumental insemination devices made in America. http://apisengineering.com/content/

Return to List Above

Dr. Jeff Groff  
 West Virginia  

Groff Jeff Dr Thumb     

Dr. Jeff Groff is Associate Professor of Physics and Chair of the Institute of Environmental and Physical Sciences at Shepherd University. He earned his Ph.D. in Applied Science from the College of William and Mary. His talk in the colony monitoring short course will be A System for Monitoring Spatial and Temporal Variations of Hive Temperature. This presentation demonstrates a system that uses arrays of temperature sensors embedded directly into a standard Langstroth hive frame foundation. High-resolution spatiotemporal temperature data collected by this system may allow details of colony health such as brood size, and indicators of colony upheaval such as swarming to be ascertained.

Return to List Above

Ann Harman  
 Virginia  

Harmon Ann Thumb     

My lifelong interest in honey bees turned my career as a research chemist to beekeeping. With my background in apiculture, as a student of Dr. Dewey Caron, I became a volunteer to teach beekeeping skills in Third-World Countries for 54 assignments in 29 countries and received 4 Presidential Awards. I also write monthly articles for Bee Culture, for BEEKeeping, each issue of Beekeepers Quarterly and occasionally for BeeCraft. I am an Eastern Apicultural Society Master Beekeeper and teach beekeeping in the U.S. I am a member, and have been an officer, of numerous beekeeping associations. I have been a Honey Show organizer and judge for national, regional, state and local honey shows. Most recently I was a honey judge at Apimondia 2015 in Seoul, South Korea. My talk in the short course will be Feeding Bees.  All beekeepers, no matter where they live, need to understand the “Why, What, When, How and If” about feeding bees.

Return to List Above

Theo Hartmann  
 Virginia  

Hartmann Theo     

Theo Hartmann, otherwise known as The People’s Drone

Has a background is in power plants and mechanical engineering where he spent his working career. After retirement he took on the beekeeping hobby and joined the BroodMinder team to help with product development, testing and data analysis. Theo runs three apiaries with 15 colonies of various sizes and configurations in Chesterfield/ Virginia.

Return to List Above

Bill Hesback  
 Connecticut  

genericprofile     

Bill Hesbach is an EAS certified Master Beekeeper and a graduate of the University of Montana’s master beekeeping program.  He is an active educator in local area bee clubs and the president of the Connecticut Queen Breeders Cooperative.  In addition to running Wing Dance Apiary where he produces artisanal honey, Bill is an author and his writings on different aspects of beekeeping can be found in Bee Culture, BEEKeeping and Bee Craft magazines.  He is an advocate of sustainable beekeeping and serves on the board of the Connecticut Back Yard Beekeepers Association and assists in their statewide efforts to educate beekeepers.  Among his many interests in beekeeping, bee biology and two-queen systems are among his favorites.  As a bee ambassador, Bill conducts educational seminars in local schools, area universities, and other regional bee clubs.

Return to List Above

Chris Hewitt  
 Virginia  

Hewitt Chris   

Father and Daughter team, Chris and Lynn, have been breeding Russian honeybees since 2013.  They run a small queen and nuc operation of 300 colonies in Northern Virginia. Chris and Lynn have been rehabbing, raising and breeding various domestics and exotics, including snakes and tarantulas, since their respective childhoods. The Russian Honey Bees Association (RHBA) has given them a platform to realize the dream of participating in one of the finest breeding programs in the world. The endlessly rewarding life of working side by side with each other and with this wonderful race of honeybee is a joy.

Return to List Above

Don Hopkins  
 North Carolina  

generic profile     

Don Hopkins became interested in bees at the age of 5, when beekeeper Dave Pruden was also the bread delivery driver in his hometown.  He didn’t get a hive until he was nine or ten, but he has kept bees almost continuously since then.  As a youth beekeeper in the Morris County (NJ) Beekeepers Association he was inspired by New Jersey State Apiarist Jack Matthenius.  Don later served as president of that same organization.  Don started working for the North Carolina Department of Agriculture in 1989 as a bee inspector.  In 1994, he became the State Apiarist. Don has been president of Apiary Inspectors of America twice: in 2000 and 2010.  At EAS, Don is sometimes known as the Chief Bee Wrangler and has presented several workshops, primarily on bee diseases. His primary interest is honey bee health and biology, as well as the interactions between the bees and other organisms.  Don has been on many volunteer projects to educate and learn from beekeepers in other countries.  His trips to Bolivia have given him experience with Africanized Honey Bees and insight as to how the beekeepers there manage the bees.

Return to List Above

Jennifer Keller  
 North Carolina  

generic profile     

Jennifer Keller is the Apiculture Technician at North Carolina State University. Her multiple responsibilities include coordinating all of the field research in the Apiculture program (including queen rearing and instrumental inseminations), maintaining the Lake Wheeler Honey Bee Research Facility south of North Carolina’s State’s main campus, and conducting numerous extension activities all across the state.

Return to List Above

Frank Licatta  
 Pennsylvania  

Licata Frank     

Frank has served as the Operations Manager for Mann Lake at the Wilkes Barre, PA location since its opening in February 2013.  He is a graduate of Lock Haven University.  Frank is a certified EAS Master Beekeeper.  In addition, he owns and operates 100 hives and produces his own labeled brand of honey, lotions and soaps.  Frank teaches beekeeping classes at the Wilkes Barre location and gives beekeeping seminars nationally at universities, conferences and bee clubs.

Return to List Above

Dr. Frank Linton  
 Maryland  

Linton Frank     

Frank Linton, an EAS-Certified Master Beekeeper, author of The Observation Hive Handbook, maintains the websites thebeepeeker.com and colonymonitoring.com.  He runs a few hives near his urban apartment and has studied honey bees at home – in observation hives since 2005. You can find Frank coordinating the electronic colony monitoring track and talking on observation hives in the short course.

Return to List Above

Dr. Wyatt Mangum  
 State  

Beekeeping Before the Bee Space Wednesday, 11:30
 generic profile 

Dr. Wyatt A. Mangum has studied bees for over 50 years.  He is an internationally known top-bar hive beekeeper and author of the comprehensive book Top-Bar Hive Beekeeping:  Wisdom and Pleasure Combined.  In addition, Dr. Mangum is an apicultural historian, specializing in American beekeeping from 1830-1950 working from primary sources (the beekeeping equipment of the time).  A monthly columnist for the American Bee Journal on Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping History, Dr. Mangum is a highly sought-after speaker, and a world traveler, working with beekeeping systems in India, Bangladesh, Bolivia, South Africa, Thailand, and Brazil.

Return to List Above

Buddy May  
 South Carolina  

May Buddy     

Buddy is a native South Carolinian from Rock Hill and a graduate of Clemson A & M College, and currently resides in Greenville, SC. Upon his retirement in 2001, be began his journey in Beekeeping. Buddy has taught beekeeping at Furman University, mentored many beginners, and holds the distinction of being the sole South Carolina Beekeepers Association Master Craftsman and EAS Certified Master Beekeeper in SC. Buddy spends his days on his May Farm

where he conducts Beekeeping Research, conducts a Queen rearing operation, provides mentorship to new beekeepers, tends to his 50 bee hives, 500 blue berry plants, works in his greenhouse, and enjoys his three Boykin Spaniels. Buddy is Vice President of the Eastern Apicultural Society and is assisting in organizing South Carolina to host EAS 2019 for the first time. Buddy has a research article on Oxalic acid for control of Varroa mites published in the October 2017 issue of American Bee Journal and has authored an article on training beekeepers entitled, “Hands On Mentoring” published in the December 2017 issue of Bee Culture Magazine.

Return to List Above

Dr. William Meikle  
 Arizona  

Meikle William Thumb     

Since 2012 I have been a research entomologist at the USDA  Carl Hayden Bee Research Center in Tucson, AZ. My work is largely focused on understanding continuous data from hive sensors and developing response variables to compare colony health and activity in field experiments on pesticide exposure and nutrition. Before Tucson I was at the USDA Subtropical Agricultural Research Station in Weslaco, TX, where I worked mainly on Small Hive Beetles, and before that (2001-2009) I was at the USDA European Biological Control Laboratory near Montpellier, France, where I worked on Varroa biocontrol and got interested in continuous monitoring. His talk in the colony monitoring short course will be: Continuous bee hive weight and temperature data: long-term vs. within-day changes. For more seehttps://iapreview.ars.usda.gov/pandp/people/people.htm?personid=48464

Return to List Above

Betty Mencucci  
 Rhode Island  

Mencucci Betty     

Betty Mencucci is owner and manager of Betty’s Bee Farm and has 20 hives of bees.  She began beekeeping in 1988 after her father died and has attended every EAS since then.  She is a member of the R.I Beekeepers Association and is a past president.  She has taught beginner beekeeping classes for the last 25 years and now also teaches an intermediate class.  She also gives bee talks to garden clubs, schools and other organizations.

Return to List Above

Rich Morris  
 Wisconsin  

Morris Rich     

Rich Morris is the Founder and CEO of Broodminder.  He has spent 30+ years developing products for the medical, scientific, and consumer worlds. He invites you to view his resume.. Rich has recently embarked on a new career, dedicated to developing devices for bees and beekeepers. He is an electrical engineer by training, system engineer and project manager by trade. Rich lives on the Yahara river in Stoughton Wisconsin, has four bee hives, and likes long walks on the beach. You can find Rich in the colony monitoring track in the short course.

Return to List Above

Bonnie Morse  
 California  

Morse Bonnie     

Bonnie and her husband, Gary, started Bonnie Bee & Company in 2011 with a goal to provide locally raised bees to a growing beekeeping community.  In addition to selling bees and honey, they provide support for local beekeepers through workshops, consulting and hive management and support for pollinator habitat through 10 x 10 + 10. You can find Bonnie sharing a great story of how they dramatically increased the sourcing of local bees in Marin County, CA during her talk, Community Sourcing of Bees.

Return to List Above

Fiona O'Brien  
 New Zealand  

OBrien Fiona Thumb     

Fiona O’Brien along with her husband Jeremy own Beeline Apiaries Limited.  A ‘now’ small (800 hives) commercial beekeeping business located in Otorohanga North Island New Zealand. They are dual Members of ApiNZ, Life Members of Eastern Apiculture Society in the U.S.A., and members of IAPF- the International Association of Food Protection.  Jeremy started Beeline Apiaries over 38 years ago, Fiona joined the crew by marrying Jeremy.  Both have beekeeping in their blood.  Fiona’s Great Grandfather and her Great Uncle had bees in West Auckland, where they sold their Manuka honey of the day to the local chemist for coughs and cold preparations.  Jeremys Grandfather Cecil turned his hand at robbing ferals in the northland bush, while his other Grandfather kept bees in Blockhouse Bay Auckland. Her workshop is entitled Decommoditizing New Zealand Honey “The Manuka Story”.

Return to List Above

Randy Oliver  
 California  

Adopting to Varroa & Extended -
Release Oxalic Acid Research Update
- Wednesday August 15th - 9:00
 Oliver Randy Thumb     

Randy Oliver has kept bees for most of his life, and views beekeeping through the eyes of a biologist, researcher, and nature lover. He owns and operates a small commercial beekeeping enterprise in the foothills of Grass Valley in Northern California. Randy and his two sons manage about 1000 colonies for migratory pollination, and produce queens, nucs, and honey.  He has over 40 years of practical beekeeping experience, plus holds B.S. and M.S. degrees in Biological Sciences.  Randy researches, analyzes, and digests beekeeping information from all over the world in order to not only broaden his own depth of understanding and knowledge, but to develop practical solutions to many of today's beekeeping problems, which he then shares with other beekeepers through his various articles in bee magazines, his speaking engagements worldwide, and on his website: www.ScientificBeekeeping.com

Open any issue of American Bee Journal and you’ll be sure to find articles written by Randy about scientific beekeeping. Randy balances a no-nonsense commitment to hard facts with an open-minded interest in progressive ideas.  He is a science-minded practical expert who puts natural practices within beekeeper’s reach.

Return to List Above

Mike Palmer  
 Vermont  

generic profile     

As a child, Michael spent most of his spare time outdoors, fascinated by the plants and insects and animals living in his suburban New York City environment. He escaped the city by going off to the University of Vermont, where he fell in love with the countryside, his future wife, and eventually the little bugs that we all hold so dear. The first colonies of honeybees arrived in 1974 as package bees, and over the following twenty odd years, he built French Hill Apiaries into a farm of nearly a thousand colonies. About 1990, Acarine mites and then Varroa mites arrived in the bees. The result was not pretty. Beekeeping became way more difficult, and way more expensive. In 1998, Mike tried raising a few queens, wintering them in nucleus colonies. The results changed his beekeeping forever. Believing that quality should always be more important than quantity, a decision was made to cut back on the total number of production colonies in the apiary and focus on raising the best queens possible.
Michael lives in St. Albans, Vermont with his wife Lesley, a cow named Meat, and Wilson, their Maremma Sheepdog. When not helping his crew manage the honey production colonies, or spending countless hours in the queen rearing apiaries, Mike travels the world teaching sustainable beekeeping to anyone who will listen. You can find many of his presentation videos here:
http://twolittleladiesapiary.com/cms/node/30

Return to List Above

German Perilla  
 Virginia  

Perilla German     

Germán Perilla received his Masters in Sustainable Development from George Mason University (GMU) in 2012.  A great portion of his career has been in Colombia where he has worked extensively with indigenous communities using honey bees to enhance sustainability and economic self-sufficiency.  A founding member of an open association of beekeepers, ASOAPICUN, Germán’s reputation earned him an appointment by the Colombian Presidency to work as a consultant and training facilitator to the United Nations' Office for Displaced Persons of Violence where he taught apiculture and business skills to refugees.  At the invitation of the Israeli government, Germán became a member of a select multi-national group of university-educated apiarists representing all continents (except Antarctica), to facilitate the exchange of beekeeping experience from beekeepers around the world, and to promote apiculture as a profitable enterprise.  At GMU, Germán directs the Honey Bee Initiative, teaches beekeeping classes in the College of Science, conducts bee research, and spearheads HBI global entrepreneurship outreach.

Return to List Above

Fred Proni  
 State  

Proni Fred     

Frederick (Freddy) Proni is an EAS Certified Master Beekeeper and is the North American Area Manager for Veto-pharma.  He also serves the North Carolina State Beekeepers Association (NCSBA) as Second Vice-President.  He is a former full-time beekeeper, with an extensive background in business, who has thirty years combined experience in honey production, commercial honey brokering/packaging, and queen rearing.   In addition to being a managing partner of the Proni Honey Bee Company, Freddy lectures about the business aspects of beekeeping, teaches bee schools and is actively engaged with the Farm Bureau and other agriculture and honey bee related organizations.

Return to List Above

Dr.Sam Ramsey  
 Maryland  

Ramsey Samuel     
P

Dr. Samuel Ramsey's enduring interest in entomology started 19 years ago and shows no signs of waning.  A Ph.D. student studying in Dr. Dennis vanEngelsdorp's lab at the University of Maryland, College Park; Ramsey tries to maintain a focus on how insect research can benefit the public through the development of IPM strategies and STEM outreach initiatives.  Ramsey studied entomology at Cornell University as an undergraduate focusing on Predatory/Parasitic insect behavior.  His current work focuses on the effects of honey bee parasites on individual and colony level survivorship specifically targeting Varroa destructor and it's feeding habits.

Return to List Above

Dr Juliana Rangel  
 Texas  

Behavioral Ecology of Swarming Thursday 9:30
 Rangel Juliana Dr Thumb     

Born in Colombia, South America, Dr. Juliana Rangel obtained a BS degree in 2004 from the program of Ecology, Behavior, and Evolution at the University of California, San Diego. In 2010 she then obtained a Ph. D. from the Department of Neurobiology and Behavior at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, working under the supervision of Dr. Thomas D. Seeley. Her dissertation explored the mechanisms and functional organization of reproductive swarming in the honey bee Apis mellifera. From 2010-2013 she worked as an NSF Postdoctoral Research Fellow with Dr. David R. Tarpy at North Carolina State University. In January 2013, Juliana became Assistant Professor of Apiculture in the Department of Entomology at Texas A&M University in College Station, TX.  Her research program focuses on the biological and environmental factors that influence the reproductive quality of honey bee queens and drones, the health and population genetics of feral honey bees, and the quality and diversity of floral sources collected by honey bees in developed areas across the country.  She is also an active member of the Texas Beekeepers Association and has spoken to numerous beekeeping associations in Texas and across the USA. She teaches two undergraduate courses, Honey Bee Biology and Introduction to Beekeeping, and also Professional Grant Writing for graduate students. She is the co-advisor of the Undergraduate Entomology Student Organization and the couch of Texas A&M University’s undergraduate and graduate teams of the Linnaean Games, a quiz bowl-style national competition that tests students on their knowledge of entomology at the regional and national games of the Entomological Society of America (ESA).  She is the elected chair of the ESA’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee and also serves in the Department of Entomology’s Graduate Student Forum Committee, and the Graduate Admissions Committee.  She was the 2014 President of the American Association of Professional Apiculturists

Return to List Above

Dr. Tom Rinderer  
 Louisiana  

generic profile     

Dr. Thomas Rinderer retired in 2016, after a research career of 40+ years. He worked as Research Leader of the Honey Bee Breeding, Genetics and Physiology Laboratory in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. His research has resulted in hundreds of publications, papers, supervised theses/dissertations and research grants. His range of research topics has included genetics, breeding, behavior, morphology, pathology and toxicology. Dr. Rinderer is recognized nationally and internationally as an expert in honey bee biology, genetics and breeding. He served as senior editor of the Journal of Apicultural Research and the journal Bee Science. A primary focus of the research has been the improvement of honey bees through genetic selection. Most recently, Dr. Rinderer discovered a stock of honey bees in far-eastern Russia, imported it through an APHIS-approved quarantine which he established, and documented it’s resistance to the parasitic mite V. destructor.  The level of resistance was sufficiently high that the need for mite control treatments was reduced by more than half. Continued selection in multi-state field trials through 12 years, using breeding methods developed specifically for this project, has produced a Russian honey bee stock having consistently improved resistance to V. destructor such that colonies rarely require chemical treatment to suppress V. destructor, has maintained resistance to the tracheal mite A. woodi, and has increased honey production to commercially acceptable standards. Technology transfer efforts encouraged 18 commercial honey bee breeders in 2008 to form the Russian Honeybee Breeders Assoc. Inc.

Return to List Above

Dick Rogers  
 North Caroline  

Rogers Dick     
Dick Rogers is an entomologist who started keeping and studying honey bees over 45 years ago as an undergraduate student in Canada. He had a small commercial beekeeping operation that produced honey and provided pollination services. He has taught entomology and supervised graduate students, operated his own contract research /consulting firm for crops and apiculture, was a provincial apiculturist /extension entomologist, and now works for Bayer, first as a honey bee regulatory studies coordinator and now as manager of Bee Health & Integrated Apiculture Research within the Bayer Bee Care Program out of the Bee Care Center in Research Triangle Park, NC.

Return to List Above

Dr. Olav Rueppell  
 North Carolina  

Transmission dynamics of honey bee viruses and the queen  Friday 9:30am
 generic profile 

Dr. Olav Rueppell is this year’s J. Hambleton award recipient established to honor outstanding scientists in apicultural research. He received his PhD in 2000 from the University of Wuerzburg in Germany working on ants and joined the lab or Dr. Robert Page for 2.5 years to start working on honeybees before taking a permanent position at University of North Carolina Greensboro (UNCG) in 2003. His work at UNCG and the Rueppell Research Group is dedicated to understanding various aspects of honey bee biology and health, with special emphasis on behavior, aging, genomics, Varroa, viruses, and other stress. His work has been by numerous grants from private foundations and state and federal agencies, and he has authored over 80 peer reviewed articles.

Return to List Above

Tucka Saville  
 Florida | New York  

Saville Tucka     

It all started with the Natural Beekeeping Trust in England, at the home of Heidi Herrmann, where a swarm flew away with my heart. Since then, I've had a series of mentors including sierra Manove, Sam Comfort and Mike Palmer. I raise queen bees in box hives in upstate New York

Return to List Above

Landi Simone  
 New Jersey  

genericprofile     

Landi Simone is a small-scale commercial beekeeper in northern New Jersey, owner of Gooserock Farm in Montville, Morris County. She manages about 100 colonies of bees, producing prize-winning premium varietal honeys, artisan honey spreads, beeswax cosmetics and handmade beeswax soaps. A familiar figure at EAS, Landi is a certified Master Beekeeper since 2004 and currently serves as both the Master Beekeeper Director and the Chair of the Certification Committee. She has given numerous talks and workshops at EAS over the years and teaches an annual short course in beekeeping in New Jersey. Landi is an active member of the NJBA, and has held several offices in the organization. A retired consulting engineer with degrees from Columbia and Rutgers, Landi finds her second career in apiculture every bit as challenging as engineering and a lot more fun. As her photo shows, she loves getting chummy with her bees but just can't get them to stop tickling!

Return to List Above

Austin Smith  
 State  

generic profile     

Return to List Above

Kelton Temby  
 California  

Temby Kelton     
Kelton founded the Eyesonhives Project with a team of data scientists and engineers. #SBSW (Santa Barbara Startup Weekend) named our team Most Impactful with Eyesonhives for honeybee colony health monitoring in agriculture. Our mission is to accelerate the transition to sustainable agriculture

A third generation beekeeper, Kelton left rural Australia to become a medical robotics engineer to help doctors treat patients remotely. When not developing a new algorithm, prototyping a robot, or sharing the buzz about Eyesonhives, he’s found tending his backyard organic garden and bee hives.  Kelton serves on the Board of Directors for the Santa Barbara Beekeepers Association.

Return to List Above

Keith Tignor

Virginia  

Tignor Keith Thumb   

As an employee of Virginia Tech and Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS). Mr. Tignor has worked closely with the beekeeping industry over the past 25 years. He participated in teaching, research, and extension activities in apiculture studies and insect physiology programs within the Department of Entomology at Virginia Tech. Since 2000 he has served as the State Apiarist at VDACS. In this capacity he is the coordinator of the regulatory and assistance programs for beekeeping in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Mr. Tignor has made numerous presentations to local, state, and national beekeeping organizations on honey bee management and organized classes and workshops on honey bee related programs. Recent initiatives begun at VDACS include training and promotion of queen and nucleus colony production, implementing new management techniques, and developing pollinator protection plans. His duties at VDACS also include organizing recruitment and education programs for beekeeping, coordinating conservation efforts for endangered and threatened plants and insects, and overseeing export of ginseng from the Commonwealth.

Return to List Above

Dr. Kirsten Traynor  
 Maryland  

Traynor Kirsten     

An avid beekeeper, scientist, and writer, Kirsten has travelled the globe in a beeline, seeking out the best beekeepers, bee breeders and scientists.  In 2006-2007, Kirsten received a German Chancellor Fellowship & drove over 50,000 miles throughout Western Europe to study the differences between European & American beekeeping. Fascinated with the social complexity of a honey bee hive, she earned her PhD in biology from Arizona State University with Dr. Robert Page.  While a grad student, she spent almost a year in Avignon, France in the lab of Dr. Yves Le Conte as a Fulbright Fellow.  She investigated how pesticides impact honey bee health as a postdoc with Dr. Dennis vanEngelsdorp and was just appointed editor of American Bee Journal.  She is the author of Two Million Blossoms: Discovering the Medicinal Benefits of Honey and Simple, Smart Beekeeping.  She also manages a boutique organic apiary (Flickerwood Apiary) producing top quality nucs and Maryland reared queens.  Using the biology of the bee against the biology of the varroa mite, she keeps her colonies healthy without synthetic chemicals.

Return to List Above

Dr. Jennifer Tsurudra  
 South Carolina  

Tsurudra Jennifer Thumb     

Originally from California, Dr. Tsuruda has been studying honey bees for over 18 years. She received her PhD at the University of California at Davis and was a postdoc researcher at Purdue University and has studied honey bee foraging behavior, reproductive physiology, behavioral resistance to mites, and genomic imprinting. Since joining Clemson University as South Carolina’s Apiculture Specialist in 2014, she has been organizing and speaking at beekeeping meetings, developing training programs, guest lecturing, participating in field days, and holding outreach events. She has been working on pollinator protection projects with Clemson’s Regulatory Services and has a research project on the effects of systemic insecticides on honey bees in ornamental plant landscapes. Active in the academic and beekeeping communities, Jennifer serves as past President of the American Association of Professional Apiculturists, Vice-Chair of the Heartland Apicultural Society, and past member of the Entomological Society of America’s Student Transition and Early Professionals Committee. Clemson is quickly becoming her home and she looks forward to developing her career in South Carolina and sharing her enthusiasm for honey bees.

Return to List Above

Doug Vinson  
 North Carolina  

Vinson Doug Thumb     

Dr. Doug Vinson, a beekeeping dentist lives in central North Carolina and maintains about 30 colonies for honey production. A second-generation beekeeper, the love of the honey bee was passed on by his father at an early age. Doug serves the North Carolina State Beekeeper Association as 1st VP and also maintains membership is the EAS and ABF. Doug will be talking about overwintering bees in small cavities in the short course.

Return to List Above

Bob Wellemeyer  
 Virginia  

Wellemeyer Bob     

Bob managed the apiaries at Rutgers University during summers from 1972-76 and assisted teaching New Jersey beekeeping short courses and judging honey shows there. Bob holds a B.S. in Entomology from Louisiana State University and worked for the USDA Bee Breeding and Stock Center in Baton Rouge under Dr. John Harbo while in school. Bob has a long history serving EAS as a life member, 1996 EAS President and as VA State Director several times. Bob has served as a Honey show judge for many EAS conferences as well as for VA, MD and NC honey shows. He has also been an instructor for short courses and workshops, giving talks on various beekeeping topics, including judging honey shows, field and lecture presentations on bee diseases and best management practices, floral sources and working with beeswax.

Recently retired from the Virginia Department of Agriculture after serving almost 42 years as the Apiary Inspector in the Northern Region, and as Virginia State Apiarist from 1990-95. He is currently owner of Windsong Apiaries established in 1985 which provides pollination in the Mid-Atlantic states for apples, blueberries, and vine crops; produces honey, small scale queen rearing and nuc production, as well as producing beeswax candles and Christmas ornaments.

You can find Bob at EAS in the short course track on excellence in honey and hive products, at the honey show and in his conference workshop on regional pollination. Bob Wellemeyer lives in Castleton, VA.

Return to List Above

Lynn White  
 Virginia  

Hewitt White Lynn     
Father and Daughter team, Chris and Lynn, have been breeding Russian honeybees since 2013.  They run a small queen and nuc operation of 300 colonies in Northern Virginia. Chris and Lynn have been rehabbing, raising and breeding various domestics and exotics, including snakes and tarantulas, since their respective childhoods. The Russian Honey Bees Association (RHBA) has given them a platform to realize the dream of participating in one of the finest breeding programs in the world. The endlessly rewarding life of working side by side with each other and with this wonderful race of honeybee is a joy.

Return to List Above

Dr. James Wilkes  
 North Carolina  

generic profile     

James Wilkes is a beekeeper, university professor, farmer, and entrepreneur. He is Professor of Computer Science at Appalachian State University where he enjoys working on technology and data analytics projects related to honey bee health including the Bee Informed Partnership.  He also operates Faith Mountain Farm, a family farm that includes a sideliner beekeeping operation producing sourwood honey. Lastly, James is founder and CEO of Hive Tracks, delivering unique technology solutions to beekeepers worldwide.

Return to List Above

George Wilson  
 Virginia  

generic profile     

George came to bees from the vineyard and wine world. He’s always been interested in specialized agricultural and competitive pursuits. George’s affair with bees started in 2006 including casual observation of his wife’s hobby. A “flavor and quality guy”, he gravitated to honey and hive products. He now works at The Backyard Farm Apiary with his wife Karla Eisen. They raise nucs for sale and sell premium artisanal honey. During the season you’ll probably find him in one of their 5 bee yards. He’s judged locally, regionally, and internationally. He’s Chairman of the EAS Honey Show and is dedicated to excellence of honey, hive products, and their promotion.

Return to List Above

Dr. James Wilson  
 Virginia  

Wilson James     

James Wilson joined the Virginia Tech faculty in January 2017 as the new Extension Apiculturist.  His duties include Extension efforts throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia and teaching the Bees and Beekeeping class and Insects in Human Society class.  James grew up in Southport North Carolina and earned his BS in Fisheries and Wildlife Science from NC State in 2008.  During his studies he became engrossed in the smaller wildlife of the region, especially insects.  James went on to earn his MS in Entomology with Dr. Rick Fell at Virginia Tech, researching forensic entomology in wildlife poaching, while trying to learn as much about bees as he could on the side.  After his Master’s, James worked with Dr. Tom Kuhar, Vegetable Entomologist at Virginia Tech, on the Integrated Pest Management of Cucurbit Production in Virginia.  His dissertation research focused on pest and beneficial insect interactions as well as the qualification of pesticide exposure risk to honey bees.  James maintains Virginia Tech’s research and teaching apiaries and is looking forward to expanding the impact of Apiculture Extension throughout Virginia and surrounding states.  For more information on Apiculture Extension in Virginia please visit blogs.ext.vt.edu/bees

Return to List Above

James Withrow  
 North Carolina  

Withrow James     

James Withrow is the 2018 EAS Student Award winner.  James is a PhD student at North Carolina State University studying social behavior and queen quality in honey bees.  

His research examines behaviors spanning from the individual level to the collective colony level as a means to both contribute to our basic knowledge of honey bee biology and also to address practical problems of queen productivity and survival. He is currently developing a system for managing colonies with multiple queens living together in the same brood nest. James is a student of Dr. David Tarpy, Professor and Extension Apiculturist for North Carolina, who has been the recipient of the EAS Hambleton Award in 2010 and the Roger A. Morse Award in 2016.

Return to List Above

Andrew Wooten  
 Australia  

Wooton Andrew     

Andrew Wooten’s career as hospital biochemist has included appointments as Principal Scientist at the Royal Melbourne Hospital and Consultant Clinical Biochemist in Liverpool UK. He is currently Honorary Associate Professor in Laboratory Medicine at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia.  Andrew started beekeeping assisting his father in the UK in the pre-varroa 1960’s.   He is now substantially engaged in beekeeping activities, notably through roles as Secretary and Training Officer to the Beekeepers Club in Melbourne, Australia which is the largest and most successful hobbyist club in the State.  In addition to convening and running numerous teaching courses including beginners, Flow hive, queen raising and intermediate workshops he raises and sells a few queens and harvests a little honey. His interest in using computers to avoid work extends all the way back to the days of punched paper tapes.

Return to List Above

Michael Young MBE  
 Northern Ireland  

Honey Bees From the U.K. to the USA Friday 8:30am
 generic profile     

Michael Young lives in a Georgian Royal Village in Hillsborough, Northern Ireland. A Georgia Master Beekeeper and keeper of bees for over 30 years he is also a professional chef. In the year 2000, Michael Founded the Institute of Northern Ireland Beekeepers modelled on the Young Harris Beekeeping Institute after his first visit to Young Harris and the States in 1999. Michael is the instigator and founder of the Welsh Honey Judge Program that started at the Young Harris Beekeeping Institute in 2000.

An International Senior Honey Judge and expert showman in exhibiting beekeeping products across the world, he has collected over 800 prize cards for his wares. He is skilled in many areas of apiculture including beeswax encaustic painting and mead making. Michael was the second person only in Ireland to use Langstroth hives. A lover of nature, gardening and photography, he also has a passion for orchids and painting in oils and watercolors. In 2008 Michael was awarded the title of Member of the British Empire, MBE, for his services to apiculture and conservation. However, Michael’s most proud accomplishments are his 4 beautiful daughters, 5 granddaughters, and 1 grandson.

Return to List Above

Jon Zawislak  
 Arkansas  

Un-Popular Science Thursday 11:00am
 Zawisla Jon     

Jon Zawislak is the apiculture specialist for the University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service.  He has worked with honey bees since 1998, and is equally at home in the bee yard, the laboratory or the classroom.  He teaches workshops and short courses for new and experienced beekeepers around Arkansas and beyond, with an emphasis on understanding the biology and behavior of both the bees their hive pests of their hives.  He also works with the non-beekeeping public to spread the word about the importance of pollinators.  Jon has a master’s degree in entomology, and was certified as an ESA Master Beekeeper in 2009.  He and his family operate Walnut Valley Honey Farm in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Return to List Above

First Last  
 State  

generic profile     

Return to List Above

BerryYard.jpg

Our Mission Is:
Education and Conferences,
Master Beekeeper Certification,
Honey Bee Research Grants